I spent another few hours on the character this morning, adding base colors and layering.
The reason that I did it this way was so that I can differentiate textures and coloring styles when I go into further detail. I used the pen tool to make sure that the layering was in perfect alignment with the original line drawing; it takes a little longer than the magic wand tool, but it’s far more precise.
I now have the base model for my character. I’m probably going to leave her be for now and start working on TJ. Following that, I’m going to have to start brainstorming an appropriate setting for the two characters to be in.