One of my favorite things to do during the open house on Thursday was watch visitors’ reaction to The Hunted Movie Trailer. People would spook just from watching it, which was definitely the intention. It was definitely an experience taking something sugary sappy sweet–like children playing–and changing it into something horrifying. Overall, I think the final product came out well. Though the movie wasn’t in the time limit, I found that most movie trailers–even teaser trailers–last only 30 to 60 seconds; I believe that I was well within the means of my genre.
As for the ghosts, I really which that I had more time to work on this project. I really wanted to hand draw the images like Naka, but knowing my personal and time limitations, I had to redirect my process. The ghosts communicated as they intended; they are haunting, daunting, but passive unless approached. They are not necessarily friendly, but also not necessarily harmful. These in-betweens–just like the use of opacity and lighting–I think is what makes this final composition work. Had I had more time with them, I would have wanted to add more to the series. However, as of now I think that the four images look great together.
The course–Art 250 that is–proved to be a learning experience in a variety of ways. First, it confirmed that I definitely have a passion for digital design and that I could actually have a future in the digital design industry. The course also confirmed that I have a long way to go. There is so much that I have to learn before probably even qualifying for grad school. I am always really nervous about my artwork, so the positive feedback from the class about both my creativity and for the final products meant the world to me. The constructive criticism and work of others led me to alter my work to be more aesthetically pleasing and strategically deep. I wish that I could have more time to build my portfolio. As of now, I am hoping for year five to do so.
Well the semester is drawing to a close and I have finally finished my lovely ghost project. In the end, I thought it would be fun to make this a project about contrast. I have really nice images that I am turning into advertisements for… get ready… Ghostbusters. Though I feel like my images are classy enough to be used to mockingly advertise “barely there” make-up, or skin whitener for the Asian market, I thought it would be fun to play with the idea of taking something classy, like my lady ghosts, and contrast it with something juvenile (yet fun!) like Ghostbusters. In the end, I ended up rebranding Ghostbusters to appeal to more upperclass members of the ghost-hunting market, who were not previously sought after by Ghostbusters Inc.
That being said, here are the final four pictures of my lovely ghost.
So I decided to go in another direction with Auggie and MJ. I like this movie better, but I still don’t feel like it’s “done.” As of now I don’t know what else to do with it… I’m letting it rest for a day. All said, I think it’s significantly better than the first video.
I am officially never going into video editing. There is so much that I could say to critique this video (it feels like two parts, it’s unoriginal, it doesn’t have any real point), which makes it so difficult to turn into class tomorrow. I have spent about 16 hours on these two minutes of film, and even now I think it’s crap. Part of the problem is that I scrapped my original storyboard idea (with good reason), so I filmed without purpose, leaving me with some unusable scraps of film. Lesson learned: have a concept before shooting!
Anyways, no super heros, crying kids, corniness, and a soundtrack. Here goes:
After changing a few things, I finalized my project. I chose not to print a calendar on the back because I thought it cheapened my project. I did, however, remove the more graphic pornography (see old November), lined up the text for the months, added dates in front of the overlapping models, and rearranged some quotes so that they didn’t push their boundaries on the models’ figures.
Please note that these images are grainy and a little off-color because I had to convert them to .jpegs to post them on wordpress :(. Without further ado, month by month: