One of my favorite things to do during the open house on Thursday was watch visitors’ reaction to The Hunted Movie Trailer. People would spook just from watching it, which was definitely the intention. It was definitely an experience taking something sugary sappy sweet–like children playing–and changing it into something horrifying. Overall, I think the final product came out well. Though the movie wasn’t in the time limit, I found that most movie trailers–even teaser trailers–last only 30 to 60 seconds; I believe that I was well within the means of my genre.
As for the ghosts, I really which that I had more time to work on this project. I really wanted to hand draw the images like Naka, but knowing my personal and time limitations, I had to redirect my process. The ghosts communicated as they intended; they are haunting, daunting, but passive unless approached. They are not necessarily friendly, but also not necessarily harmful. These in-betweens–just like the use of opacity and lighting–I think is what makes this final composition work. Had I had more time with them, I would have wanted to add more to the series. However, as of now I think that the four images look great together.
The course–Art 250 that is–proved to be a learning experience in a variety of ways. First, it confirmed that I definitely have a passion for digital design and that I could actually have a future in the digital design industry. The course also confirmed that I have a long way to go. There is so much that I have to learn before probably even qualifying for grad school. I am always really nervous about my artwork, so the positive feedback from the class about both my creativity and for the final products meant the world to me. The constructive criticism and work of others led me to alter my work to be more aesthetically pleasing and strategically deep. I wish that I could have more time to build my portfolio. As of now, I am hoping for year five to do so.
I went into the woods today and got the pictures that I needed for my project. Unfortunately, I couldn’t secure I high-quality camera before I went, so I did my best to change my camera settings before I went outside. I used a Canon Powershot SD1200 IS (or, in other words, a tiny digital camera). To change my settings, I clicked “FUNCTION SET” then, as scrolling downwards, changed the ISO to 1600, the AWB to CLOUDY, and the picture size to 3648 x2736px. That’s HUGE! These are the pictures that I am most contented with, though they haven’t been photoshopped yet:
So I decided to go in another direction with Auggie and MJ. I like this movie better, but I still don’t feel like it’s “done.” As of now I don’t know what else to do with it… I’m letting it rest for a day. All said, I think it’s significantly better than the first video.
I am officially never going into video editing. There is so much that I could say to critique this video (it feels like two parts, it’s unoriginal, it doesn’t have any real point), which makes it so difficult to turn into class tomorrow. I have spent about 16 hours on these two minutes of film, and even now I think it’s crap. Part of the problem is that I scrapped my original storyboard idea (with good reason), so I filmed without purpose, leaving me with some unusable scraps of film. Lesson learned: have a concept before shooting!
Anyways, no super heros, crying kids, corniness, and a soundtrack. Here goes:
This is the step-by-step process that I went through for each of my months. Each print probably took me a combined 2-3 hours, but I got faster as I learned how to work smarter.
Step 1: Find a backround and models that you would like to use. The better quality and the more of the body, the easier it is to work with.
Step 2: Cut the models out of their picture using magic wand with high tolerance for bigger pieces and polygonal lasso for details. After the bodies are completely cut out, magic wand the bodies, click Apple->Shift->I, and click delete. Tada! The models are cut out of their background. Touch up using polygonal lasso tool.
Step 3: Fill in missing body parts. Examples here. Save as a .psd.
Step 4: Move into Adobe Illustrator. Create a new document for print. File->Place->your .psd.
Step 5: Click “Live Trace” at the top of the screen. I like the preset “Black and White Logo” for the smoothest appearance. If you use this preset, be sure to set its color back to CMYK for ideal printing.
Step 6: Punch in your wallpaper, calendar, and quote, and you’re done! Be sure the colors and quotes match the month :).
Now I have to figure out what to do with them. Here is a sneak peak at each season. These clips also represent the different artistic styles in the calendar.