I came out of my critique today feeling a little shaky. I had written a story for A, but in doing so removed the abstractness that the assignment was shooting for (and making this movie a whole lot harder on me as well). Here were some suggestions that I got:
- Do not have A act, just have him do
- Create a sense of smallness artificially, be it through set or through movie manipulation
- Use an adult’s voice to mask A’s
- Interview A to have him talk about being a superhero, how big he is, and everything else that the film focuses on
- Ask A to “act like a superhero.” Interpret at will
I really loved all of these suggestions. It takes a lot of the burden off filming, but creates a lot more editing work. We will see how Sunday goes!